Tuesdays from 2 pm to 3:20 pm EST from May 2nd to June 20th, 2023.
This is an 8 week journey.
**Note: this is NOT a certification but a personal healing course.**
Yoga for Inner Transformation is an eight-week group utilizing the healing modality, The Trauma-Conscious Yoga Method℠ (TCYM). TCYM is a healing modality that integrates trauma-conscious yoga (yoga taught with the awareness of how to support trauma survivors and create a supportive space for trauma healing) and somatic therapy practices. This modality was formulated by Nityda Gessel, licensed somatic trauma psychotherapist and registered yoga teacher, who is also the group’s facilitator.
Yoga for Inner Transformation group, and the Trauma-Conscious Yoga Method℠ healing modality in general, include a number of specific resources and practices designed to support trauma survivors in healing their trauma through a journey of self-inquiry, embodiment and self-development.
During the first group, group norms are established, confidentiality is explained, and resources are provided.
Each of the 8 groups includes the following:
- Cultivating community and safe space for the group to take place
- Shared experiences through brief group check-ins/check-outs (also encourages a sense of belonging and safety)
- Affect regulation practices (resources that support clients in grounding, regulating their nervous systems, self-soothing, and increasing overall feelings of well-being, safety, control and embodiment)
- Psychoeducation/Dharma Talks: a variety of topics related to yoga, psychology, somatics and trauma/nervous system are explained in a digestible way to empower clients with information and increase their self-awareness- this is all done via a decolonization lens and while emphasizing and honoring the South Asian-Indigenous roots of yoga
- Yoga pranayama (these are the breathing practices within yoga)- these practices aim to help tone the vagus nerve, regulate the nervous system, and improve overall health
- Mindfulness practices – these practices aim to help with distress tolerance; they aim to ameliorate tendencies to dissociate; they aim to help with presence, focus, increased awareness and overall feelings of well-being
- Yoga asana (these are the poses and movement practiced within yoga)- paired with pranayama practice, these practices aim to help regulate the nervous system and increase embodiment, and potentially discharge trauma in the body if necessary
- Yoga mudra (these are hand gestures taken in yoga)- aiming to increase mindfulness, presence and embodiment
- Intuitive movement-aiming to help clients learn to listen to their bodies, increase embodiment, and potentially metabolize trauma in the body if necessary
- Somatic practices- these practices aim to support clients in distress tolerance and trauma healing (the majority of these practices come from the modalites Internal Family Systems and Somatic Experiencing)
- Journaling- clients are invited to listen to their bodies, pausing at any time during the group to journal on their own. Clients are encouraged to journal and self-reflect in between groups- clients are provided with a packet that includes journal prompts related to the theme of each week, as well as instructions on how to practice the yoga pranayamas and asanas presented in group. Clients are also given audio meditation recordings to continue to practice on their own in between sessions.
Who is this group for? This current group is open to anyone over the age of 18, outside race/ethnicity, gender identity, physical ability level, etc. At the Trauma-Conscious Yoga Institute, we understand that trauma is not limited to major, catastrophic events- that trauma is vast and includes “little T” traumas such as emotional neglect, racism and discrimination, system violence and oppression, and generational and collective trauma. With this understanding, we consider all people, trauma survivors. All people 18 years old and up are welcome to join this group.
Group frequency: This group takes place in a virtual format and meets once a week for 8 weeks, Tuesday’s 2-3:20 p.m. EST from May 2nd to June 20th.
Rate: $520 or four payments of $130
A limited number of equity scholarships are available, please email the Admin team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: There are no refunds for this courses. Cancellations can be applied to a future courses and trainings.